Quick Links

Niobrara Public Schools

District

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

FERPA Policies

STUDENT RECORDS ACCESS

The board recognizes the importance of maintaining student records and preserving their confidentiality. Student records shall be maintained so as to separate academic and disciplinary matters.  Student records may be maintained in the central administration office or administrative office of the student's attendance center.  This policy does not apply to student directory information.

The following records shall be maintained as permanent records of the student:

·The student's social security number;

·The record of dates of attendance;

·Highest grade level completed;

·A transcript of classes taken with grades and credits received;

·The records of inoculations and health examinations which are given to the class or student body as a whole;

·The record of participation in extracurricular school activities and sports;

·The signatures of people who are required to sign for access to student records and the statement of purpose for such access;

·The student's or student's parents' written consent of release of student records.

All other student records shall be removed and destroyed after a student's continuous absence from the school for three years.

Any student, his or her parents/guardians, teachers, counselors or school administrators shall have access to the student's records during the regular business hours of the district.  Student information may also be disclosed without written consent of the parent or eligible student (a student who has reached the age of 18) to persons or entities with whom the district has contracted to provide services related to the district’s educational program in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  In addition, authorized representatives of the State or Federal government, and state educational authorities connected with the enforcement of requirements of certain educational programs as prescribed by law shall have access to student records within the limitations of state statutes.  No one else shall have access to the records and the records shall not be divulged to any person without prior consent of the parent or eligible student.

A student’s records, including academic material and any disciplinary material relating to any suspension or expulsion, shall be provided at no charge, upon request, to any public or private school to which the student transfers.

Approved _______________ Reviewed _______________ Revised ________________

The superintendent shall establish reasonable fees for providing copies of the student's records to a parent or guardian.  No fees shall be charged for the right to inspect and review the records.

Legal Reference:                     20 U.S.C. § 1232g (FERPA)

34 C.F.R. Pt. 99, (Privacy Rights of Parents and Students)

Neb Statute 79-2,104 and 2,105

79-539

79-4,157 and 4,158

84-1,212.01 et seq. (Records Management

Act)

Cross Reference:                     503      Student Attendance

508      Student Health and Well‑Being

611      Academic Achievement

612.10 Procedural Safeguards and Confidentiality

804.02 Data or Records Retention

1003    Public Examination of District Records

STUDENT DIRECTORY INFORMATION

Student directory information shall be defined in the annual notice. It may include the student's name, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, honors and awards received, photograph and other likeness, and other similar information.

Prior to developing a student directory or to giving general information to the public, parents will be given notice annually of the intent to develop a directory or to give out general information and can submit a written request for the exclusion of their child's information from the directory or in the general information about the students. 

The district is required to supply class lists including name, address and phone number to college and military recruiters upon their request. Military recruiters will also be provided the same access to a student in a high school grade as is provided to postsecondary educational institutions or to prospective employers of such students.

A parent or guardian of a student in a high school grade may submit a written request to the district that the name, address and phone number for that student shall not be released without prior written consent of the parent or guardian. Upon receiving this request, a district shall not release that information without the prior written consent of the parent or guardian. Within thirty days prior to or following the beginning of each school year and, for a new student who enrolls after the beginning of a school year, within thirty days following such enrollment, the district shall notify the parents and guardians of each student in the high school of the option to opt out of directory information release.

When a student reaches eighteen years of age, the permission given to the parents or guardians to opt out of the information release shall only be given to the student. Within thirty days prior to or following the beginning of each school year and, for a new student who enrolls after the beginning of a school year, within thirty days following such enrollment, the district shall notify each student who is at least eighteen years of age or who will reach eighteen years of age during the school year of the option to opt out of the information release and that any such request made previously by a parent or guardian for the student expires upon the student reaching eighteen years of age.

It shall be the responsibility of the superintendent to provide notice and to determine the method of notice that will inform parents. Nothing in this policy shall limit the applicability of federal FERPA laws.

Legal Reference:                     20 U.S.C. § 1232g (1994).

34 C.F.R. Pt. 99, 300.560 ‑ .574 (1996).

Cross Reference:                     506      Student Activities

Approved _______________ Reviewed ________________ Revised ________________

AUTHORIZATION FOR RELEASING STUDENT DIRECTORY INFORMATION

The _______________ Public School District has adopted a policy designed to assure parents and students the full implementation, protection and enjoyment of their rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.  A copy of the school district's policy is available for review in the office of the principal of all of our schools.

This law requires the school district to designate as "directory information" any personally identifiable information taken from a student's educational records prior to making such information available to the public.

Even though student addresses and telephone numbers are not considered directory information, military recruiters and post-secondary educational institutions may legally access this information without prior parental consent.  Parents not wanting military recruiters and post-secondary institutions to access the information must ask the school district to withhold the information.

The school district has designated the following information as directory information: (The only items left out of this list are address and telephone numbers.  Boards need to amend the form to reflect their practice.)  student's name; date and place of birth; email address, grade level, enrollment status, major field of study; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of members of athletic teams; dates of attendance; degrees and awards received; and the most recent previous educational institution attended by the student; photograph and other likeness and other similar information.  You have the right to refuse the designation of any or all of the categories of personally identifiable information as directory information with respect to your student provided that you notify the school district in writing not later than _______, 20___ of this school year.  If you desire to make such a refusal, please complete and return the slip attached to this notice.

If you have no objection to the use of student information, you do not need to take any action.

RETURN THIS FORM

__________________ School District

Parental Directions to Withhold Student/Directory Information, for 20___ - 20___ school year.

Student Name: __________________________________ Date of Birth: __________________   

School:________________________________________ Grade: ________________________  

______________________________________________       ___________________________  

(Signature of Parent/Legal Guardian/Custodian of Child)                 (Date)

This form must be returned to your child's school no later than __________________ , 20___  .

Additional forms are available at your child's school.

Parental Directions to Withhold Student Names, Addresses and Phone Numbers from Military Recruiters and Post-Secondary Educational Institutions, for 20___ - 20___ school year.

Student Name: ___________________________________      Date of Birth: _______________

School:_________________________________________      Grade: _____________________

_______________________________________________    ____________________________ 

This form must be returned to your child's school no later than _____________ , 20___ .

STUDENT PHOTOGRAPHS

The board will permit student "portrait" photographs to be taken on school premises by a commercial photographer as a service to the students and their families.

Parents will be notified prior to the taking of pictures by a commercial photographer for student "portraits."  In no case will students be required to have their picture taken or be pressured to purchase pictures.

Students or commercial photographers may take pictures of students upon consent for such things as the yearbook or student newspaper.

It shall be the responsibility of the superintendent, in conjunction with the principal, to develop rules as necessary to implement this policy.